Dr. G. Peter Maiers IIBoard-Certified and Fellowship-Trained Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Maiers is living his dream, which for him means practicing orthopaedic sports medicine with a specialty in injuries to the hip and knee.
As a sports medicine physician Dr. Maiers utilizes a team approach in the conservative treatment of patients to help athletes get back in the game. If necessary, Dr. Maiers prefers arthroscopic surgery to keep the procedure as minimally invasive as possible with faster recovery times. In fact, he utilizes the same methods and techniques developed for athletes to treat those who are injured at home, at play or in the workplace.
After concluding his residency in orthopaedic surgery at Indiana University, Dr. Maiers embarked on two subspecialty fellowships, the first under the direction of Dr. Frank Noyes in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he focused on complex knee injuries and joint preservation. He completed his second fellowship under the tutelage of Dr. Thomas Byrd in Nashville, where Dr. Maiers devoted his time to arthroscopic hip surgery, including treatment of Femoroacetabular impingement as well as other athletic hip injuries.
Dr. Maiers serves as team physician for Hamilton Southeastern High School and Hanover College, and as a hip consultant for Indiana University. He is actively performing research on the arthroscopic treatment of hip impingement and arthroscopic ACL reconstruction. Dr. Maiers lectures nationally, teaching other orthopaedic surgeons to perform some of the techniques he employs.
In March of 2013, Dr. Maiers joined the team of sports medicine physicians providing care for Indiana University student-athletes on the Bloomington campus. In this role, Dr. Maiers sees athletes and patients on Wednesdays only at Bloomington Bone and Joint Clinic. Dr. Maiers main medical office is Methodist Sports Medicine, with offices in and around Indianapolis.
When he's not working, Dr. Maiers and his wife enjoy spending time with their three sons. Some of their favorite family activities are sailing, golf and snow skiing. Dr. Maiers can often be found on the sidelines of the schools he takes care of, and he usually has at least one of his sons to "help" him.
- Undergraduate: Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- Medical: Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
- Internship: Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
- Sports Medicine Fellowship: Cincinnati SportsMedicine and Orthopaedic Center
- Hip Arthroscopy Fellowship: Nashville Sports Medicine
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Indiana Orthopaedic Society
- Indiana State Medical Society
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Sports Medicine Fellowship Society
- Team Orthopaedic Surgeon: Indiana University Football
- Team Physician: Hanover College Football
- Team Physician: Hamilton Southeastern High School Football
G. Peter Maiers II, M.D.
Dr. Maiers is a board certified and fellowship trained orthopaedic surgeon specializing in Hip Arthroscopy, Hip Injuries including Labral Pathology & Impingement, Knee Ligament Reconstruction, Meniscal Repair, and Oxford Partial Knee Replacement.
Last Modified: January 13, 2017